Monday, June 27, 2011

Wood Fired Breadsticks





One of the joys of summer in our household is lingering by our outdoor fireplace. One of the dreams I've had now for a while is to figure out how to put a wood burning oven in our backyard, but living in a rental house in the middle of the city makes that difficult, even potentially dangerous. Funny this is one of a few things that R fears more than I do!

Tonight, however, tonight! Tonight I saw possibilities of those worlds coming together. The coals of the fire looked just right, and I thought--if I push those over, I can fit a quarry tile or two in there (the tiles that line a shelf in our oven). I happened to have some pizza dough rising in the fridge (new recipe, more on that later this week).

We tried it out and made some quick breadsticks. They were delicious. We only preheated the tiles for about 5 minutes or so, probably another 30 minutes preheat might make it work for a pizza. We'll see if I give it a shot soon. The breadsticks got charred nicely and had some flavor you can only get from burning wood--a really wonderful way to end a day.


No comments: